Living a happier life is something we're all seeking for, right?
Today, I want to help simplify this list by sharing with you the few Simple Rules To Be Happy which are guaranteed to apply to every person on the planet.
We know we’re happy when we feel it, and it often mixes with a range of other positive emotions, including excitement, contentment, and gratitude, but to better understand the causes and effects of happiness, we need a more universal definition. Every conscious human mind has an average baseline happiness level that, without dedicated intervention, we naturally return to surprisingly quickly following almost all life changes.
Being happy is one of the most important requirements of a living being. Since the beginning of human civilization, man has also been trying to develop new technologies, make new tools, and improve lifestyle for the sole purpose of attaining happiness. However, in its race of scientific struggle and pursuit of money and luxuries, man is hardly aware of what exactly constitutes happiness.
What is Happiness?
Happiness is defined as the state in which a living being expresses satisfaction and contentment. It is the state in which negative stress levels are at the lowest, even if not zero, and positive stress improves the person’s positive emotions. It is conceptualized as an enduring state of mind that consists of the capacity to experience pleasure in daily life, as well as the ability to engage one’s skills and talents to enrich one’s life and the lives of others. Although people around the world generally report that they are happy, there are differences in average happiness levels across nations. Although people have a tendency to overestimate the extent to which their happiness set points would change for the better or for the worse following certain life events, researchers have identified a number of factors that are consistently related to happiness
“To enjoy good health, to bring true happiness to one’s family, to bring peace to all, one must first discipline and control one’s own mind. If a man can control his mind he can find the way to Enlightenment, and all wisdom and virtue will naturally come to him.”
Importance of Happiness
The reason why happiness is so important is that it’s extremely vital to our own goals in life and can help us achieve many other cherished personal ambitions and goals. Also, by being happy, we have the potential to change many other lives just by being ourselves. When happiness is on board, this not only affects you but it has positive effects on all those with whom you come into contact. So, it’s the ‘domino’ effect and it all begins with you as an individual. As you spread those feelings they are taken on board by those around you who also spread them in turn.
You might be wondering why happiness is considered such an important aspect of life, as there are many components of a meaningful life. It is still important because it has some undeniably positive benefits and co-occurring factors.
- are more successful in multiple life domains, including marriage, friendship, income, work performance, and health.
- get sick less often and experience fewer symptoms when they do get sick.
- have an easier time navigating through life since optimism eases pain, sadness grief.
- have a positive influence on others and encourage them to seek happiness as well, which can act as reinforcement.
- are happy with what they have rather than being jealous of others.
- live longer than those who are not as happy.
- are more productive and more creative, and this effect extends to all those experiencing positive emotions.
“Happiness cannot be traveled to, owned, earned, worn or consumed. Happiness is the spiritual experience of living every minute with love, grace, and gratitude.”
9 Simple Rules To Be Happy
1. Learn how to manage your frustration. Remember that total control in life is not an option and we all get frustrated for different reasons for different things. A basic rule of happiness is to be able to raise your frustration tolerance and this means letting go of being in control. Too much control kills happiness and feeds frustration.
2. Understand your life’s purpose. When you’re in sync with your purpose, you are more likely to feel content and happy. If you don’t know what your values and purpose in life really are, then take a good hard look at what you stand for as well as what really makes your heart sing.
3. Be Grateful. Think of all the wonderful things you have to be grateful for right now. It could be your family. Or your health. Maybe your home. Your friends. Your brain. Your heart. Your spirit. We’ve all got amazing things in our own lives that make us smile with joy. And if we can count these blessings every day, we’ll discover a greater appreciation of the beautiful world we surround ourselves with.
4. Set achievable goals. Goals are the essence of hope, and they inspire you to get out of bed in the morning. Happy people have short, mid-term, and long-term goals that they are striving towards, but they don’t pursue them at the risk of their well-being.
5. Give More. “Give and you shall receive.” Giving of yourself, your time or a percentage of your money will most likely reward you with huge chunks of happiness – it’s a universal law.
“Learn to enjoy every minute of your life. Be happy now. Don’t wait for something outside of yourself to make you happy in the future. Think how really precious is the time you have to spend, whether it’s at work or with your family. Every minute should be enjoyed and savored.”
6. Laugh at your problems. Laughter truly is the best medicine, it cures all ills and turns challenges into opportunities. Laughter brings a lightness to life and is a key component in living a happy life. Laugh so hard that your belly hurts. Do it every single day.
7. Focus on improving yourself. Don’t become focused on other people’s successes. Never mind what are other people accomplishments. Focus on your own progress and growth. When you focus on yourself, you put in the effort to make progress each day. There’s a sense of fulfillment as you work towards something. When you devote your energy to improving yourself, other people’s achievements and goals become less relevant.
8. Surround yourself with people who are positive and supportive. The people we spend time with influence who we are. Being with people who don’t support you when you try to improve yourself will bring you down if you let them. If you notice that the people around you are toxic to your well-being, it’s time to go. It’s easy to remain surrounded by negativity when it feels like there are no other options available.
9. Keep going when you feel like quitting. When you feel like giving up and when things seem impossible, KEEP GOING. Perseverance isn’t just on the path to happiness, it is the path to happiness! Don’t let setbacks derail you. Don’t let discouragement get you sidetracked. Keep going!
When you can follow these rules, you will find your tension and worries melting away. Consider adopting it, It may help change your life for the better. If you're having trouble letting go or need to talk to someone, consider a professional therapist to help you figure out where you're getting stuck.
“If you look to others for fulfillment, you will never be fulfilled. If your happiness depends on money, you will never be happy with yourself. Be content with what you have; rejoice in the way things are. When you realize there is nothing lacking, the world belongs to you.”
What concepts do you live by to positively impact your life? Tell us in the comments field below.
P.S- You Can Combine Yoga Equipment, Meditation Music or Meditation Tools to boost and to gain more from your Yoga and meditation practice.