Meditation: How Can You Unblock A Chakra?
What exactly are chakras?
How do they affect your physical and emotional well-being?
In this article, we’ll explain the impact these energy centers may have on your mind and body, plus how to keep them “open” in order to promote physical, mental, and emotional well-being.
“The chakra system originated in India between 1500 and 500 BC in the oldest text called the Vedas,” says Fern Olivia, a reiki healer and yoga instructor. The Vedas are the earliest Sanskrit literary records and the most ancient scriptures of Hinduism. As for the purpose of the seven chakras? “They each correspond to specific organs as well as physical, emotional, psychological, and spiritual states of being and influence all areas of your life,” says Olivia. “Within these chakras is ‘prana,’ or the ultimate pure healing energy, that’s all around us and within us, to keep us healthy, happy and vibrant.”
“Our own physical body possesses a wisdom which we who inhabit the body lack. We give it orders which make no sense.”
What are chakras?
Chakras, by definition, are energy centers within the human body that help to regulate all its processes, from organ function to the immune system and emotions. Seven chakras are positioned throughout your body, from the base of your spine to the crown of your head. Each chakra has its own vibrational frequency, color, and governs specific functions that help make you, well, human.
The term chakra is Sanskrit for “wheel.” Rightfully so, chakras are regularly depicted as spinning, colored wheels of energy. For millennia, chakras have been recognized as essential to life.
“ Every man is the builder of a Temple called his body, nor can he get off by hammering marble instead.”
Henry David Thoreau
What are the 7 main chakras?
The chakra system refers to the energy centers we have in our bodies. There are seven major chakras, each in a specific location along your spine. Let’s look at each one more closely.
- Root Chakra (Muladhara) - Located at the base or root, the perineum, this chakra represents grounding, and survival needs like shelter and security, often a good one to focus on if you travel a lot and don’t always have a fixed home or sense of security. Associated with the color red and the spinal column, the kidneys, legs and colon.
- Sacral Chakra (Svadhisthana) = Located by the Sacrum, a large piece of bone at the base of the spine, but above the coccyx. This chakra represents pleasure, emotional balance and sexuality. Associated with the color orange and the reproductive organs, prostate and bladder.
- Navel Chakra (Manipura) - Located by the belly button, this chakra represents our willpower and assertion, it is yellow in color and associated with the pancreas, liver and stomach.
- Heart Chakra (Anahata) - Located centrally near the heart, this chakra represents, of course, love, unconditional love, acceptance, compassion and intuitiveness. The color is green and the associated organs are the heart, the circulatory system, the arms and hands.
- Throat Chakra (Vishudha) - Located at the throat (quelle surprise!), this chakra is all about communication, creativity, truth and reliability. The color is blue and the organs associated are the thyroid, hypothalamus, throat and mouth.
- Third Eye Chakra (Ajna) - Located in the center of the brain, at a cross section found between the eyes and just above the ears. This chakra represents wisdom, imagination, intuition and an ability to analyze and perceive truth in the world. The color is a deep purple and the associated organs are the pituitary gland, the nose, the ears and the pineal gland.
- Crown Chakra (Sahasrara) - The only chakra to be found outside of the physical body, this is located just above the crown of the head in what is considered our “spiritual body”. There are less words about this chakra as it is the chakra associated with higher consciousness, pure unconditional life and a state of pure being (beyond words!). There are no physical organs associated, but it is associated with vitalizing the upper brain, and the color is a light purple or indigo, or white.
“Every man is the builder of a Temple called his body, nor can he get off by hammering marble insteadThere is deep wisdom within our very flesh, if we can only come to our senses and feel it.”
Elizabeth A. Behnke
How can you unblock a chakra?
Your chakras are a complex energy system within your body and are the centers of spiritual power. When you are aware of this system, you are able to balance these energies. But what happens when our chakras become blocked? It may lead to difficulties with concentration, sleeping problems, a lack of motivation and feelings of helplessness, among many other things. However, there are many easy ways to unblock your chakras yourself and today we want to share with you our favorite techniques for clearing these energy pathways.
- Sound Therapy - Sound therapy can be used in many different ways. Some as simple as turning on the radio and hearing a song that you really enjoy the sound of. But the sound therapy I am talking about here is Tibetan singing bowls. These bowls are different sizes and produce different frequencies. And each chakra has its own frequency that it resonates with. To educate yourself further on sound therapy click here. Other sound therapies include Isochronic tones and Binaural beats.
- Yoga - When a chakra is blocked, movement can be beneficial to releasing it. Yoga is a fantastic way to do this as it encourages the flow of energy back into your body.
- Meditation to bring about clarity of mind - Meditation is used for a wide variety of things. Anxiety and depression, relaxation, soul searches, answers from beyond and more. Why not use it for inner healing? You can do this with a guided meditation class specific for balancing and unblocking chakras. If you can't find a class, there is always YouTube. Or sit quietly in a room and turn on some nice soft relaxing music and see where the meditation takes you. As long as you set your intent on what you are trying to achieve in the meditation time, you will do it.
- Nutrition - Including certain foods in your diet can help you to clear your energy system. Each chakra correlates with certain foods so introducing these into your daily meals can really go a long way to rebalancing your system.
- Go out into nature - This is one of the easiest ways to unblock your chakras. Spending time outdoors, walking barefoot in the grass, is a wonderful way to reconnect with nature and absorb its healing energy – keeping you grounded and at peace.
Chakras refer to various energy centers in your body that correspond to specific nerve bundles and internal organs. The seven major chakras run from the base of your spine to the top of your head. If these energy centers get blocked, you may experience physical or emotional symptoms related to a particular chakra. One way you may be able to unblock or rebalance your chakras is by doing certain yoga poses. Specific breathing exercises and meditation practices may also help.
“Each of the seven chakras are governed by spiritual laws, principles of consciousness that we can use to cultivate greater harmony, happiness, and wellbeing in our lives and in the world.”
Being fully aware of all the seven chakras, their respective colors and the organs they impact will help you notice the improvements you can bring in your body through all the various methods of awakening and fortifying these chakras. You can easily create a harmonious balance within your life by influencing your seven chakras to stay mentally, emotionally and physically healthy, along with channeling improvements in your personal and professional lives.
If you’re not sure where to start or just want to know more about your chakras and how they may affect you, consider working with a professional energy healer, such as a reiki practitioner, or a certified yoga instructor.
P.S- You Can Combine Yoga Equipment, Meditation Music or Meditation Tools to boost and to gain more from your Yoga and meditation practice.